Saturday, November 7, 2009

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 7 - Children


"Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,

So are the children of one's youth."
                      Psalm 127: 3-4

Following on from yesterday's topic of giving thanks for marriage, I am giving thanks today for children (particularly mine!). Until my husband and I had our children, I never could fully comprehend the blessing that children are, or the love that a mother (and father) has for her own children. If you have a child of your own, you probably will never forget looking in their eyes and holding them for the first time. It is an amazing feeling and humbling to know that God would give such a precious gift into your care.

Our kids are now 11 and 9 years old, people always told me to enjoy them because the years go by so quickly. I underestimated the truth of their words. Though I have cherished every phase my kids have gone through, some of those felt like they would never end. We made it through diapers, sleepless nights, weaning, potty training, learning to walk, read, write, ride bikes and so much more. The memories are overwhelming, I have never experienced anything like being a mom. Each day brings something new and unique; around the corner we have teenage years, learning to drive (yikes!), graduations and whatever their future holds. Someday my kids will leave home, although right now they refuse to admit that possibility!

I give thanks every day for the blessing that my children are to me, they are great kids - even if I say so myself! My love for them is so deep, and the love they return to me blesses me immensely. If you are a parent, I hope you are able to rejoice today in your children and give thanks for them.

For those who have no children or have suffered the loss of your child, you are in my prayers to receive God's comfort. I know the pain of losing a child, we lost our first child through miscarriage, I hope to be reunited in heaven. No words I can say will lessen your hurt and longing, only God can comfort your heart. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort" 2 Corinthians 1:3.

Giving thanks today for my children!
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment