Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Need a Plumb Line?


Thus He showed me, and behold, the Lord was standing by a vertical wall with a plumb line in His hand.

The LORD said to me, "What do you see, Amos?" And I said, "A plumb line " Then the Lord said,
"Behold I am about to put a plumb line
In the midst of My people Israel
I will spare them no longer.
"The high places of Isaac will be desolated
And the sanctuaries of Israel laid waste

Then I will rise up against the house of Jeroboam with the sword."
                                                                                            Amos 7:7-9

In our society, diversity and acceptance have become commonly used terms. We are constantly urged to be tolerant of other people's views and lifestyles and often labeled 'intolerant' or 'judgemental' if we voice our disagreement. As a result, many Christians have chosen to remain silent and have gradually become accepting of values which the Bible clearly speaks against. Over time, becoming complacent with the sin around them, some have followed the ways of the world. Though we all fall to temptation and sin, it is so important that we do not become like the world, therefore we need a standard to adhere to, a plumb line to keep us straight in this crooked world.

God showed Amos how crooked the nation of Israel had become by holding a plumb line in their midst; if there was ever a time that our nation needed a plumb line it is now. Sin abounds and we must find that straight line to keep us on the right track. I believe that God has given us such a plumb line in His word. The Bible holds for us all answers we need, there is no confusion in regards to what He considers sin, it is plainly stated. We must not compare our righteousness with the world, we must compare it with The Word.

The Bible is a gift from God and I treasure it and the promises given to me. I hope and pray that you read the Bible each day, keep it close to you to be your plumb line in the midst each day.

1 comment:

  1. Well said!

    Years ago I attended an ostensibly Christian college where believing that the Bible is the Word of God (1980s)held you up to ridicule.
    Since that time I have watched as our society has increasingly become religious but not Christian!

    ReplyDelete