Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 25 - The Lord, My Shepherd



"The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
"He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;

My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."
                                   Psalm 23

The role of a shepherd is to care for his flock. Sheep are well known for being kind of dumb; if they are not led safely they will walk obliviously into danger, fall prey to predators and eat and drink things which could be disastrous for them. Sadly, we are often likened to sheep in the Bible and though it is uncomplimentary there is much truth in the analogy. Left to our own devices, we will also fall prey to our enemy, the devil; we will most likely head down a path of destruction taking in things which are not good for us either physically or spiritually.


Thanks be to God that He is our Shepherd - Jehovah Raah. As a shepherd cares for his sheep, so does our Shepherd care for us. Psalm 23 is one of the most well known passages of scripture; even non-Christians can often quote parts of it. The Psalm expresses the many ways that our Father cares for us and meets our needs; it offers words of comfort and strength during life's dark days, provision for our every need, and an assurance of God's unfailing love.

For some it is difficult to admit any need to be cared for, it may seem to imply weakness. Perhaps that is true if you put your faith in yourself and in your own abilities, however no man can save Himself, therefore come to God in humility and acknowledge He is Lord, allow Him to be the Shepherd of your soul. There is no other who can or will care for you like God, and no greater joy than to know Him.

With thanksgiving for the care of the Lord, my Shepherd.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment