Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Classic Pecan Pie

This morning my kids and I planned our Thanksgiving dinner menu, it was pretty easy because we tend to like the same menu each year but it is fun to talk about it and anticipate the yummy flavors. So, you're right I haven't shopped for Thanksgiving yet, I'm planning to do that later today or tomorrow. I really don't stress about Thanksgiving, I find it a fun meal to prepare.


Anyway, after giving you a recipe for pie crust a couple of days ago, today I want to share my favorite Pecan pie recipe. It is on our menu for next week and I am so looking forward to it. Before I made pecan pie for the first time I thought it would be really difficult to make so I was hesitant to try it. I was so wrong! It is delightfully easy to make, and mine have always turned out good. Most pecan pie recipes are pretty similar, I have always used the one from the Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book (not so new however, mine is almost 20 years old!). Here it is:

3 eggs
1 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups pecan halves
Pastry for single crust pie

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare pastry for single crust pie according to directions, line pie plate with pastry trimming to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; fold under extra pastry. Make a fluted or scalloped edge.

For filling, in a mixing bowl beat eggs lightly with a rotary beater or fork till combined. Stir in corn syrup, sugar, margarine or butter, and vanilla. Stir well. Stir in pecan halves.
Place a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate on the oven rack. Pour the filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
Remove foil; bake for 20-25 minutes more or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pie on a wire rack. Cover and chill to store. Makes 8 servings.

Smart Mom's notes:
I always use extra pecan halves, probably about 2 cups total. Also, I typically pour the filling into the pie plate, cover the edges with my pie crust shield or foil, then carefully transfer it to the oven. I don't like trying to do all that over my hot oven. Sometimes I leave the edges covered for longer, and just remove the shield/foil during the last 10 minutes so that the crust doesn't get too done. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream!

Enjoy!
Smart Mom

Share/Save/Bookmark

Please remember to shop at Smart Mom's Store I appreciate your support

No comments:

Post a Comment