Monday, November 16, 2009

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 16 - Thankful for Trials?



"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.
And let endurance have its perfect result,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
             James 1: 2-4

This morning my Bible reading brought me to the book of James and I read the familiar verses quoted above regarding trials in our lives. This topic was not one that I had planned out on my list for the Thirty Days of Thanksgiving, but it reminded me that I should be thankful for the trials in my life.


It seems over the years that my husband and I have gone through more than our fair share of trials. As a pastor and pastor's wife we have had the privilege of serving the Lord in those capacities and experiencing the many joys and blessings which come with the ministry. However, it seems that adversity also comes with the calling and without going into details, we often have felt like we were put through the wringer!

In the book of James, we are told to consider it all joy when we experience various trials... that is hard to do when you are right in the middle of a painful situation and you can't see the end in sight. So why consider it joy? Because God can use every situation for good if we allow Him to; He uses those very trials to test our faith, and that testing refines and purifies us. When we go through traumatic times and keep hanging on to our faith, knowing that God loves us and is sovereign over our lives, we are enduring or persevering. That endurance does have a positive result. We come through the trial with a deeper, stronger faith and trust in God. With more faith we become more Christlike, we are able to share our faith in and love for God in a more meaningful way with others.

I know sometimes it is so hard to see the good in the trials you face, but trust in God that He has a plan, He wants you to be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Someday you will be able to look back at where you came from and see that God was at work in your midst.

Give thanks for trials.
Linda




No comments:

Post a Comment