Friday, November 20, 2009

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 20 - Shelter from the Storms



"There will be a shelter to give shade from the heat by day,
and refuge and protection from the storm and the rain."
                                 Isaiah 4:6

As I mentioned a few days ago we have been subjected to a series of storms and lots of rain these past few weeks. In fact it seems like the rain has just been incessant. I have been putting off my trip to the grocery store to purchase food for our Thanksgiving meal because I really dislike grocery shopping on wet and windy days. Today, I decided it must be accomplished because the store will be really busy over the weekend, and I need that turkey by Monday so that it can begin to thaw! God blessed, and the rain held off for the entire shopping trip. I like to be thankful for the small things, don't you?


Anyway, all this rain reminded me to be thankful for the shelter that is provided for me. I am thankful for my home; it is so good to sit inside on a rainy day and observe the rain in comfort and warmth. I am thankful to have a vehicle to travel in which protects me from the rain. During my childhood years, my family never had a car therefore we walked everywhere or occasionally took a bus or taxi. Getting wet walking to and from school everyday was just part of life, so I really appreciate my vehicle now!

Of course, I am most thankful for the shelter given to me by my Heavenly Father. He protects me from the storms of life. Do you ever wonder how many catastrophes we are unknowingly spared from? Have you ever driven by the scene of a car accident and realized if you had passed just moments earlier it could have been you? Those storms which do come our way, we manage to get through them because God carries us in His mighty arms with the love of a Father. To be safe and secure in the shelter of the Almighty God provides a warmth and comfort to which there is no other comparison.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
                     Psalm 91:1

Remember to give thanks for God's shelter!
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment