Monday, December 1, 2014

Day 2: Being Thankful When Things Go Wrong

You know there are those days where it just seems like one thing after another goes wrong, and it's not always easy to give thanks in the midst of unfortunate events. However, there is great benefit in looking for ways to be thankful despite the circumstances.

Recently we have been having some electrical issues in our home; if we would run too many appliances on one circuit the breaker would trip and there were issues with resetting it. A couple of weeks ago my husband replaced the breaker for that circuit and we thought it was all running well. Today, however, I plugged one of our space heaters into my daughter's bedroom to get it warmed up for her. A little while later as we were
sitting in our bonus room we started to smell a fishy odor, we looked everywhere to try to determine where the odor was originating form and just couldn't figure it out. As it continued to get worse I decided to Google the issue to try to figure out what might be causing it. Immediate results showed probable electrical overload or fault, so I figured we should unplug the space heater and see if that resolved the problem.

It seemed like the odor was subsiding and I moved onto other things. Approximately 15 minutes later my son came and told me the power had gone out in that area of the house. We tried flipping the breaker and unplugging everything in the affected rooms, but were unable to restore the power. So, of course this is not convenient and will take some effort and money to fix. All this leads me to my first reason to give thanks today:

  • I am thankful that we were able to discover the electrical issue before it started a fire in our home. Although this is one more stress we don't need right now, things could have been tragically worse and I thank God for protecting our family.
  • This year I was able to purchase a small Christmas gift for each of my family members back home in Scotland and am thankful that I was able to get them in the mail today so that they can receive them before Christmas.
  • I am thankful for my husband who loves me and provides for our family; we have been married for 22 years and I give God thanks for blessing our marriage.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you can find some reasons to give thanks today!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment