Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect??

This week I have read through the book of Ezra in the Old Testament, God showed me several things through my study, but I think what stood out the most to me was the example that Ezra set with his life.

"For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel."
                    Ezra 7:10

Ezra knew the importance of God's word, he had made a commitment to study it and teach it to others. Obviously he loved the word of God, experienced the blessing of studying it and wanted to share the knowledge of it with Israel. Ezra understood however, that it is not enough to simply study God's word, we must practice what we learn. If we read God's word and do not apply it, have we gained anything? Knowledge perhaps, but we would have missed God's intent for us to grow in faith  and love. And how can we really teach others that which we have not applied to our own life? The well known phrases come to mind: "Practice what you preach" or, "Do as I say, not as I do," and of course "Hypocrite" - a term I'm sure we don't want to be used in regard to us.

Have you ever had an employer or teacher who gave you theoretical instruction but had no practical experience to back it up? It's kind of frustrating, isn't it. Well, it's the same with God's word, how can we genuinely teach it to others if we don't live it? This is a challenge for me and I hope it is for you also, that as believers our goal is not to just stay the same; we should be ever-changing, becoming more like Christ. Every time we read God's word we should be saying "Okay, what about me? How does this apply to me, how can I put this to work in my life? Do I need to make a change? What is God trying to teach me here?" I'm not saying it is always easy, sometimes it can be a painful process, but the outcome is worth it.

God's word is a wellspring of life to those who diligently seek it. It is overflowing with knowledge, wisdom and the secrets to true happiness. God has revealed Himself and His purposes to us in His word; He has given us instruction for living.... but we must respond! To know God's commands and not follow them would be disobedience. It is my prayer for you that you will be filled up with the blessings of being in God's word, that He will guide and direct your paths and that you will receive His instruction with a humble, submissive heart that you might grow in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment